In 1947, after independence, the truncated North Western Railway, renamed as East Punjab Railway, had no workshop to undertake repairs of Broad-Gauge Rolling Stock. For some time, the repairs to BG stock were carried out at Kalka. Later, it was decided to set up the first major post-independence Carriage & Wagon Workshop of Indian Railways at Jagadhri as part of Northern Railway and foundation stone of the workshop was laid on 08.02.1952. The workshop was set up for undertaking the POH of 75 Units of coaching stock and 225 units of Goods stock per month.
The workshop capacity has since been expanded & developed and over a period, the capacity of the workshop has been increased to the current level of 520 Wagons POH and 125 AC & Non-AC Coaches POH per month. Another proud moment for the workshop was, when it became the first workshop to be nominated for the POH of state-of-the-art LHB coaches imported from M/s ALSTOM. Jagadhri is the first Northern Railway Workshop to be certified with IMS certification consisting of ISO 9001, ISO14001, and OHSAS 18001. JUDW has also obtained ISO: 50001 certification, 5-S certification & ISO: 3834 certification for Welding.
Jagadhri Workshop was awarded Green-Co GOLD rating by CII in Chennai in March 2018 and all efforts are being made to upgrade it to Platinum.
Jagadhri Workshop is headed by Chief Workshop Manager, and is assisted by Dy. CME/Coaching, Dy.CME/P & Sr. EDPM, Dy.CME/W, Dy.CEE, Dy.CME/SNP, Dy.CPO, AFA and DEN. Store Depot is attached to the Workshop, and is headed by Dy. CMM under CWM.
55 Bedded Hospital attached to the Workshop is headed by ACMS.
- Setup in 1952 for POH of IRS coaches & Four-wheeler wagons
- POH of ICF coach started and wheel shop established in 1960
- POH of Rajdhani Coaches started in 1988
- Overhauling of CTRB started in 1998
- ISO 9001:2000 certification in 2000
- POH of BLC wagon started in 2001
- POH of LHB coach started in 2003
- ISO 14001:2004 (EMS) Certification in 2008
- IMS Certification covering ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 in 2010
- 3rd best innovation in November’2014 for Fixture for disc brake cylinder special tools and test bench of LHB coaches (FTIL & KNORR make)
- 1st prize in December’2014 for heritage shield in restoration of Railway Sheep Van Exhibit at NRM
- Conversion of EOG Pantry car into Dining car for IRCTC in May’2016
- ISO:50001 Certification in 2016
- 5-S Certification in September’2017.
- ISO 3834-2 Certification for Welding in November’2017.
- Certificate of merit for Energy Conservation by Ministry of Power in December’2017.
- Green-Co GOLD rating received in March 2018 from CII.
- Commissioned 1MWp “ON-GRID” Roof top Solar Power Plant in November’18.
- State-of-the-art “Sculpture Park” developed in Workshop.
- Approved for NABL accreditation in February’2019.
- Got Best Overall Workshop efficiency shield of Northern Railway for seven consecutive years in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021.
- Got Best Workshop (Rolling Stock) Shield at MR level in 2019 and 2020.
- In September’2020, won2nd position in industry category above 1MW connected load during State Level Energy Conservation award programme for the year 2018-19 organized by HAREDA.
- Won Energy Efficient Unit award for Excellence in Energy Management programme organized by M/s CII Hyderabad for last four consecutive years since 2018.
- In February’2021, Administrative Building of JUDW has been certified for Green Building GOLD Rating by IGBC-CII
- Won Ist prize during State Level Energy Conservation program organised by HAREDA for Extra Divisional Railway hospital JUDW in connected load under 500kW category year 2019-2020.
·POH of all variants of LHB coaches
·POH of all variants of ICF coaches, except SG AC
·POH of all types of Wagons, except BTPN & BOBRN
·POH and conversion of NMG, Camp Coach
·POH of Maharaja& Buddhist Tourist Rakes of IRCTC.
·Supply of IOH Bogies (LHB/ICF) to divisions
·Supply of all types of wheels to divisions.
·Supply of components for Coaches & Wagons to Divisions