Moradabad was founded in 1625 by Mughal Prince “MURAD”, son of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.
Moradabad city is famous for Brass Metal Handicrafts, not only in India but also abroad. This city is situated in western U.P. between 28°-21´ and 28°-16´ Latitude North and 78°- 4´ and 79° Longitude East. Presently it is an Administrative, Industrial and Commercial centre. National Highway 24 passes through the city
Moradabad is the Headquarter of an important Division of Northern Railway. It is an important Railway Junction and lies on the Howrah-Amritsar and Delhi – Guwahati main lines.
Moradabad Division was created in 1925 as a part of East Indian Railway. Spread over the states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, it has a total route kilometrage of 1402.15 Kms. and track kilometrage of 2701.72 Kms, over which 140 pairs of Mail/Express and 60 pairs of passenger trains run. There are 207 stations including 150 block stations. Approximately two lakhs passengers are booked daily from stations of the Division.
The division caters to important religious and industrial centres of both the states. Important religious piligrim centres of the country like Haridwar, Badrinath, Kedarnath, Rishikesh, Garhmukteshwar, Rajghat, Naimisharanya etc are situated in the area served by the Division.
Three major fertiliser plants, namely IFFCO/Aonla, Tata Chemicals Limited/Babrala and Kribhco Shyam Fertilisers / Shahjahanpur are located on this division. Major transportation needs of these plants are meet by the division.
Similarly, a number of important sugar factories are situated over the division. The sugar mills at Laksar, Seohara and Dhampurhave their own independent sidings. Other plants load their product from goodshed of Hardoi.